Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bonita

Bonita is a 11 year old Paso Fino mare that came to us along with 3 others last June. Bonita is the matriarch of the herd and did a wonderful job. Any time they felt any danger to the herd Bonita would send the mares to a safe place while Guapo took care of protecting his mares. A year later the herd has gone through many changes.

Guapo was gelded right away and the 3 mares were already pregnant when they arrived here at Harmony Meadows. Bonita was the first to have her baby, a filly, then Julie had a filly and Meg a stud colt. The weaning process was hard for Bonita, and I spent the time with her on training. Bonita is always on the guard, and having trust issues to top it off. We worked things out and had a wonderful bonding experience. She is awesome!

I am the only one riding and working Bonita due to her trust issues with strangers or anyone else that wants to deal with her. I have so much compassion for her, and her strength, beauty and misunderstandings from the human race. She is the most captivating horse I have ever worked with.

Last week some friends of ours came by to pick up some hay. A young man named Brian saw Bonita and went into her paddock. I let him know how she is with people and once he started he needed to finish. Don't leave her hanging and wondering what just happened.

I am here to tell you that I had the most beautiful experience of my life watching Brian and Bonita. Their language was so captivating it blew us all away. Brian stood very still squatted to the ground. I told him whatever he did he was not to move his feet to stay in the position he took. Brian fallowed my directions to the T and Bonita would threaten him time and time again. Her facial expressions were like reading a book along with her body language. I also directed Brian not to touch her unless she touches him first. He could not take from her; he had to have total respect for her, and what was happening. We were all in whoa mode by now. The head movements she made to try to get Brian to move were elegant in every way. Then as long as it took at a spit second you could see the threats stop. She then allowed Brian to touch her then she started touching his fingers with her lips asking him so softly to pet her. Brian replied with the softest touch across her jaw. I looked into her eyes and watch the stress disappear and pleasure took over. Brian then stood up and started walking away, and Bonita followed him around trusting him with every step they made. I asked him to stop to see what she would do. She walked up to him and asked him to pet her on her neck.

Bonita,

You are the most fascinating horse I have ever see, and it has been a pleasure to be a part of your life. You have taught me so much, and to put love into a hug when you are beside me is a special feeling.

Sometimes I see something missing when I am watching you, and I know what it is. Trust me my dear lady you will soon be with your herd once again. It has been a long road getting you all back together and the journey is nearing the end. I made you that promise, and I will stand by it. You, and your mares all the babies, and Guapo will be as one once again.

You are in my heart everywhere I go, and when I speak of you I smile with every word that I speak.

No comments: