Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Some Horse Owners


 

I hate to write this, but it happens to me all the time. I get emails and calls about people wanting us to take their old horses, lame horses or unbroken horses. Now, the way I see it, you own the horse, you no longer want it because it is old, lame or you do not know what you are doing. This is not what rescue facilities are for; RESCUE means just that. You expect rescues to step up and care for your horse that you no longer want. Why? You wanted it.

Now, don't get me wrong, if someone is in financial difficulty and truly is then I have no problem. If the owner has passed away then I have no problem. If a county shelter calls me then I have no problem.

But to walk away from your responsibility just doesn't set right with me at all when you should be the one . This is why we have so many shelters having to put cats and dogs down.

Why in the heck did you get a horse in the first place? Horses are not meant to be a status symbol for anyone. They should be a lifetime commitment; I know mine are. I couldn't dream about getting rid one of my horses just because of my own selfish reasons.

You know, these horses could care less if you ever rode them again. They could care less if you ever put a halter on them again. Providing they have companionship of another horse. Let's not forget to feed and water them.

I have several questions that are pretty standard now. What's wrong with it? how old is it? Send me a picture and I can tell ya if it is sound or not most of the time.

I love what I do with this rescue to my inner core. This is why I have had enough with the people who don't step up and deal with it. Take care of your own horse, most of the time you are the one who caused it to go lame, so why do you fill it shouldn't be you to take care of it anymore now? Right?


 


 

For the love of the horse..

No comments: