Sunday, February 17, 2008

Two Brothers and Two Sisters





It was last summer when Teddy and Macy came to Harmony Meadows Equine Rescue. These two brothers were stallions and both well under weight. Teddy is a true sweet-heart while Macy was all about fear. It took two days of being very patient to get Macy here. One thing I have learned is patience pays off.

"TAKE THE TIME IT TAKES" and you will be amazed at how well things work out in the end.

Our first mission was to get both of them on a good diet and call the vet to have their shots and Coggins done. Not to forget to set up an appointment to have them both gelded once they had more weight on them. We do not adopt out stallions here. Breeding is one thing we will not allow to happen with any horse that comes to Harmony Meadows. It took some time for Macy to gain any trust in humans, but step by step we gained it. Teddy on the other hand loves people and was eager to be fed.

It wasn't long after they came we got a call from a lady name Sandy. Sandy was looking for a horse for her two daughters Katy and Teresa. I told her that we didn't have any horses that were broke to adopt to young kids. I figured that was the only time I would ever hear from them again. Well, not true, it wasn't long when Sandy called again asking for an appointment to come and visit our horses and facilities. We made the appointment and they became volunteers here. We couldn't have been any luckier to find a family as loving and helpful as they are. I love it when people aren't afraid to jump in and get a little dirt under their nails. They can keep up with me :0) I wouldn't trade this family for anything in the world. They have become my adopted children now. I love it when Teresa calls to come over; I'll tell her that they can spend the night. It has become a ritual every-other weekend for a crew of kids to come stay for the weekend or the night. This is how I grew up; we always had lots of kids in the house.

As time went on, Katie and Teresa started spending a lot of time with Teddy and Macy. We allow our animals the freedom to be curious, and to ask questions. We teach people here to take the time and just hang out without expectations. Learn what a horse is about, communication, and yes, we even go and read a book or sit on a stump in their paddocks. If you can't learn it on the ground, what makes you think you can learn it in the saddle? Anyways, I was so impressed on how the relationships between these two sisters and brothers were growing. Teddy chose Teresa and Macy chose Katy; they were perfect matches. I have never in my life seen relationships turn out the way it was turning out.

Katy is high strung just like Macy. Macy went from I don't want anything to do with you to becoming Katy's best friend. Every day I watched their relationship grow. Trust me, putting young horses and kids together is something I run from, but the relationships between these kids and horses was something we couldn't walk away from. When it is right, you know it is right, and this was. I didn't have the heart to adopt out these horses to anyone but Katy and Teresa.

Teresa never had too much to do with horses until she started volunteering here. She and Teddy hit it off right away. These two are so cute to watch. If ever a human and horse were meant to be they were. Personalities were the same all the way around. Teresa and Teddy both just ambled along enjoying each other. Teresa was eager to learn how to work with Teddy, and Teddy could care less. See, neither of these horses were broke to ride much less anything else. Before Teddy and Macy left for their new home these girls had both horses ground working, and Teresa was riding Teddy in the paddock.

Teddy will be a good ole trail riding buddy for Teresa, while Katy and Macy will make a great team in hunter jumping and cross country. It will take a few more years before we get to see Macy hit the show ring, but when they do I know in my heart they will be a team. I look for the light to shine for Katy and Macy when their time comes. These two brothers and two sisters have a relationship that most people will never understand, but here at Harmony Meadows Equine Rescue we have been blessed with two wonderful loving children who have the passion to take the time and understanding to see the relationship they were blessed with Teddy and Macy.

Sandy,

We have been so lucky to have you and your children in our life. God does do things for a reason. He chose us for Teresa, Katy, Teddy and Macy. Not only for them, but for the relationship that has grown between our families and children. Thank you!

Anna and Sue,

Many special thanks to the two of you. If it were not for you stepping in to help Teddy and Macy this story would have no beginning . You both trusted us enough with the care of Teddy and Macy, and I thank you for that. By doing this we all have made special friends and gave the boys a new beginning in life.

3 comments:

teddybearlovr said...

Thank you for all you have done. I really ♥ having teddy in my life. I am so glad that we found each other. Thank you for trusting us enough to let us adopt the boys. Thank you so much.

Katy D. said...

Thank you for all you have done for me and my family.
You and your family are the best, you posted our story about our horses so everyone will know what it is like to actually to take care of something you love so much, but can't get close enough to touch. Until you just give up and what you have been wanting just happens when you give up. That was what it was like for me, I gave up trying to touch Macy then he came up to me, it was a miracle.
From that moment on I knew that this relationship would last forever.

Celeste said...

sjvtbWhen you get to a show with Katy and Macy, and you hear some stranger clapping for you, it will be me.
Celeste